Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got me thinking. It's bloody confusing when you say you have an R8 as then you have to clarify if it's the V8 or V10.

Was there a specific reason that Audi didn't call the V10 version R10?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Just got me thinking. It's bloody confusing when you say you have an R8 as then you have to clarify if it's the V8 or V10.

Hmm ...perhaps the same logic behind why an A4 with a 6 cylinder engine not called an A6?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understand what your saying but with a car so limited in it's line up seems logical to call it R10.

Oh well, I obviously have too much time on my hands today :D

·
Administrator
6,229 Posts
Because it's named after the Le Mans R8 car

The Audi R8 is a sports-prototype race car introduced in 2000 for sports car racing as a redevelopment of their Audi R8R (open top LMP) and Audi R8C (closed top LMGTP) used in 1999. It is one of the most successful sports cars ever (alongside such greats as the Porsche 956/962) having won the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 (five of the seven years it competed). A streak of six straight Le Mans victories was broken-up only by the Bentley Speed 8 (powered by the same V8 twin-turbo engine) in 2003, when the R8 finished 3rd.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it's named after the Le Mans R8 car

The Audi R8 is a sports-prototype race car introduced in 2000 for sports car racing as a redevelopment of their Audi R8R (open top LMP) and Audi R8C (closed top LMGTP) used in 1999. It is one of the most successful sports cars ever (alongside such greats as the Porsche 956/962) having won the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 (five of the seven years it competed). A streak of six straight Le Mans victories was broken-up only by the Bentley Speed 8 (powered by the same V8 twin-turbo engine) in 2003, when the R8 finished 3rd.
See, that makes sense :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

As it is intended to follow the Le Mans inspiration, the only reason to call it an R10 would be if it had a big TDI diesel engine in it....

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What might the TD W12 engine car be called ? R TD W 12 ?? Too bad Deisels are usually made of IRON and not AUMINIUM. The script would cover half the rear-end !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
As it is intended to follow the Le Mans inspiration, the only reason to call it an R10 would be if it had a big TDI diesel engine in it....
I wouldn't be too sure that Audi is not saving "R10" for exactly that: a production diesel sports car to celebrate their diesel success, which followed their R8 LeMans success.

Just because the v12 TDI was a non-starter does not mean there won't be SOME KIND of diesel engined sportscar in Audi's future! The pressure to "reduce carbon emissions" will make diesels increasingly likely in sports cars, I would expect.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I was thinking W12TDI as in the gas version Audi W12 Its short like a 4cyl -not as long as a V 12.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts