Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my side windows tinted twice now with the same results. The ceramic film tears at the bottom when the windows close. My tint guy who has tinted at least a dozen cars in the past for me tells me there's something in the door causing this. Has anybody had this problem??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear bro... I've had mine tinted for over a year without any problems.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
No problems here.

·
Registered
482 Posts
No probs here. Perhaps it's the company?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i did heard something about tinting this. You usually need to remove the door mould and tint the window below the rubber.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No probs here. Perhaps it's the company?
No, I've been using these guys for years. I never had a rework done on any of my previous cars. They do a great job.

The damaged film is on the drivers side, and the film has crumbled upward from the bottom of the window. The tint shop owner thinks there's some kind of guide or window buffer in the door causing the damage.

I wonder if this has something to do with my problem?...

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3077&highlight=window

·
Registered
761 Posts
No problems here. I had them tinted with llumnar automotive tint.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had the ceramic tint on my R8 for 7 mos now with no issues. I do know that my tint guy took the door off to get it tinted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Audi service advisor thinks tint isn't getting enough time to take to the glass. He's saying window goes down a little when you open the door. So opening and closing the door after installing tint could cause damage. My M6 does this, and I never had a problem. Same tint guy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Would smoking the glass instead of applying a film resolve the problem?

Mine has Llumar window tint and never experienced a problem. The problem is that Llumar don't have authorized retailers everywhere.

Llumar auto tint is also "anti glass shatter" in case of an accident an/or theft. I think it's a plus.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would smoking the glass instead of applying a film resolve the problem?

Mine has Llumar window tint and never experienced a problem. The problem is that Llumar don't have authorized retailers everywhere.

Llumar auto tint is also "anti glass shatter" in case of an accident an/or theft. I think it's a plus.
Some installers close to me. BTW the model on the home page sold me.:D http://www.llumar.com/en/Default.aspx. The security film is a plus. I have to call my regular guy tomorrow and get his thoughts on this problem. I know he's won't be happy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Okay here is the deal. I just had my R8 tinted and asked my tint guy why this happens to some owners. As we all know the windows open slightly when the doors are open and close when the doors close. In order to properly install film you need to make the doors think they are closed, cuasing windows to go up all the way then apply film. AFTER applying film the film needs to be heated along the edges with a heat gun to cause the film to properly set BEFORE you re-engage the auto window function.

According to my tint guy, who has been in business for 20 years, any film that comes off is simply a result of a poor installation job; they likely did not use a heat gun and allowed the film to remain wet before re-engaging the auto window function.

This auto window function is typically on many, if not most, high end 2 door vehicles so there is nothing unique about the R8.

Hope this helps those with issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Wolfie. My tint guy re-tinted the window and I used passenger side to get into car and drive home. Left the car in the garage for two days. Problem solved. Looks Great

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 3M carbon film on my car and have had no problems...Your tint installer does not know what he is doing. He needs to heat shrink the film once applied. Go to a different installer

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the same tint guy for 15 years. He's tinted windows on at least a dozen cars for me. Never had a problem until this. It's perfect now. No problems and it looks great.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My tint has pealed off too on both the driver side and the passenger side. It's very embarrassing. Does anyone know a professional installer in Toronto?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I have the same problem, is this the issue (see pic) ?

I just spoke my window tinter who is great and has done all my tinting for the last 11 years and he is going to come back to re do it though he did put the window in the 'up' position when he tinted it and the passengers window doesn't have the same problem ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts