Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here tinted or thought of tinting their side windows? Any pics?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mean it as a bling. I'm talking about a very-very light tint on the side windows. I don't think that it would hurt. It will give me at least some degree of privacy and protection from the looks etc. Besides, it will be harder to break in case of a carjack etc...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't they just threaten to kill you when they car-jack you?

If you are going to tint it so people can't see you then why get a car that people will stare at you.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
If you are going to tint it so people can't see you then why get a car that people will stare at you.
For me, the being stared at part falls into the cons rather than the pros - but the pros outweigh it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
tinting will mean less air cond and protect against the sun. It's important in Asia.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could try Pentagon Glass - it's a film that stops the glass being broken. One warning though, with no frame around the top of the door, it won't work so well

Jon P

·
Registered
156 Posts
i think 50% tint would suit it well...
it's dark enough to protect it from heat and sun but light enough to see out as well.

50% is pretty light, usually the norm is 35% tint, and that still let's plenty of light in for you to see out.
I hate seeing those limo tints on cars and suv's i think they're like 10% tints, when i used to valet in highschool it was pretty bad because you can't hardly see out...i wonder how they even drive.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah.. it's a nightmare trying to look out the sides at night when it's raining...especially on cars with the 10% tint that you mentioned.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yup you know what i mean man...it certainly is...
i guess people with such dark tints only drive straight... ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
you know what you should try?

Automatic/electric Tinted Windows (or something like that).

Google electrochromic glass car
you can buy it right now and it's a really nice feature: they replace your windows with their special windows - then you can adjust (via a switch) the level of the tint at your desired level, it will go from No tint to completely dark in 0.1 seconds, with intermediate levels between, of course.

If anyone orders them, please let us know how much is it for the R8 (I couldn't find the price online on any site that sells this stuff).

The same technology can be found in the Ferrari Scaglietti

I just can't find a seller in US right now, but I remember I found (when I searched for it like a month ago) some companies selling it for Audi S5 and other cars in Europe (Italy I think). I am sure they ship ... but can't find the same company right now with google.

For more info, try this link here.

http://www.switchlite.com/home.html

Glass is transparent in any setting, with no haze
Only +/- 1.5V DC is required in order to operate. The energy consumption is also very low : <0.1Wh/cycle/m2
The standard design consists of two 2.1 mm thick glasses and a thin interlayer, for a total glazing thickness of 5.8 mm and a total weight of 16 kg for one square metre of glass
Depending on the glass size, a full change in light transmittance can be achieved within 30-60 seconds. This performance time is consistent over a temperature range of -25 °C to 90 °C
Electrochromic glass made its worldwide debut on a Ferrari 575 Limited Edition at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2005. A perfect combination of speed and style.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you know what you should try?

Automatic/electric Tinted Windows (or something like that).

Google electrochromic glass car
you can buy it right now and it's a really nice feature: they replace your windows with their special windows - then you can adjust (via a switch) the level of the tint at your desired level, it will go from No tint to completely dark in 0.1 seconds, with intermediate levels between, of course.

If anyone orders them, please let us know how much is it for the R8 (I couldn't find the price online on any site that sells this stuff).

The same technology can be found in the Ferrari Scaglietti

I just can't find a seller in US right now, but I remember I found (when I searched for it like a month ago) some companies selling it for Audi S5 and other cars in Europe (Italy I think). I am sure they ship ... but can't find the same company right now with google.

For more info, try this link here.

http://www.switchlite.com/home.html

Glass is transparent in any setting, with no haze
Only +/- 1.5V DC is required in order to operate. The energy consumption is also very low : <0.1Wh/cycle/m2
The standard design consists of two 2.1 mm thick glasses and a thin interlayer, for a total glazing thickness of 5.8 mm and a total weight of 16 kg for one square metre of glass
Depending on the glass size, a full change in light transmittance can be achieved within 30-60 seconds. This performance time is consistent over a temperature range of -25 °C to 90 °C
Electrochromic glass made its worldwide debut on a Ferrari 575 Limited Edition at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2005. A perfect combination of speed and style.
I think that is a great idea rather than tinting the glass of the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my husband tinted my car with precut tint from northerntint.com and it turned out pretty good. it was pretty cheap and they sell the tools to help you put the tint on easier so it doesnt take forever!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bling my ride - Not a thing I would do
Not sure tint would be considered bling? Bling is "look at me" 20% to 30% tint on the sides and inside rear window help a lot with cutting down on the suns heat and glare. And in my opinion really adds to the agressive look of the car.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
my husband tinted my car with precut tint from northerntint.com and it turned out pretty good. it was pretty cheap and they sell the tools to help you put the tint on easier so it doesnt take forever!!
thx for resurrecting a long dead post to try and shill your product!

·
Registered
2020 R8 (Farewell Edition)
107 Posts
I have tints on my side windows only. I think they are 35%. I love em and they really improve the look of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Definitely looks good but sadly illegal in the UK... :-(

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
What If a person had severe Loopis disease? In The U.S. some states will allow even the front w/shield to be tinted. My craziest buddies tint their front glass anyways. I recently noticed how nicely tint flows with darker sideblades. I don't think i would ever tint any of the rear glass. Haw much is a pre-cut tint for the w/shield ?? Chelsie? Just kidding. Tint needs to be of the HIGHEST QUALITY. :)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have tint on my four side windows and the windshield. It is the Nano-Technology (ceramic) tint. It is very light, almost unnoticeable, but does cut the heat well and even more importantly it blocks UV by 99%. I know it is not legal in CA, but it is hardly noticeable on the sides and no one has noticed it on the windshield. It really does help keep the car cool during the summer and protects the interior & occupants from sun damage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts