Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there had their windscreen replaced yet? Mine got cracked a few weeks back driving down the A1 in torrential rain when some lorry in front flipped a stone or bolt or something into me.

My insurer insists I use Autoglass UK rather than an Audi dealer and with the rain sensors and aerial and wiper positions etc. I'm guessing this will be one of their more complex repairs. Tiny bit worried they'll screw it up but anyone else out there had it done on their R8? any problems?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have not had this done on an R8 but around a year back my Z4M had the same problem. Had it replaced by autoglass and they were very good (the Z4M also has rain sensors etc)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Might want to ask your garage who they use. I have seen Autoglass called out to Audi garages when customers bring in cars for repair.....

Anyway, depending on your insurer, you might find you can tell them who you intend to use, and find that instead of the £75 (or so) excess, they simply offer you a fixed amount towards the cost of getting it repaired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually have had mine replaced by the dealer in March--five months in-- and they did a perfect job. I had a couple small chips (probably OCD to replace it so soon), and I thought it was relatively reasonable. I try not to tailgate too much now. The rest of the front is clear armored including the entire hood (had them take the original rings off).

The actual part took less than two weeks to come in (which is what I was most worried about). I had no speed/rain sensitive wipers (is that an option?). The parts and labor cost about 1300 dollars. They said it was more complex to install than they thought (like the had to take the dash apart), so you might want to get a fair estimate on the labor before they do it. I told them I didn't want any rattles, as well. They did a good job. I think the actual part lists for around 800 dollars through Audi, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a chip and in view of the car's performance the dealer advised to replace the entire windshield.

The job was perfect and the cost was entirely covered by the insurance. I forget the price but it wasn't as high as I expected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts