1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep the car parked in the garage?

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you mean the Rain-X type products the manual specificially says not to use them.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
ClearPlex... the best protection you'll never see!

I track a lot and this works great against things that will trash all windshields... I also use a clear bra to cover all of the front smooth surfaces including lights and mirror fronts.

WINDSHIELD PROTECTION KIT
ClearPlex... the best protection you'll never see

Driving on today's highways can be a hazardous business - especially for your vehicle's windshield. Introducing ClearPlex, the first and only optically clear protection film designed for automotive windshields. This patent-pending product absorbs the impact of standard road hazards - significantly reducing the occurrences of rock chips, "stars", pitting and "bull's-eyes". ClearPlex is a whole new vision in windshield protection. The film is guaranteed not to peel, bubble, crack or yellow - providing virtual invisibility for the warranted life of the film.

At 60 mph, the un-treated glass on the right doesn’t stand a chance. On the left, the same glass was treated with ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film. The impact left only a few Dimples on the film, but did not harm the Glass.
Impact and Scratch Resistant

ClearPlex is designed to take what the road dishes out. Impacts which shatter unprotected glass leave only a minimal pin-point on the film, preserving its optical clarity. ClearPlex is scratch resistant and stands up to everyday abrasions, including windshield wipers.
http://www.precisionclearbra.com/product_overview_windshield.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think any(good reputable brand) type of film protection for the car is worth it... esp if you are going to do fast driving... or in a convoy.

for windscreen, normally i change it after convoy as it will get rough due to lots of stone hitting the windscreen...

below is one example of a trip i went recently... luckly the protective film took most of the brunt...

i have it in most of my cars...

Windshield Automotive exterior Glass Automotive window part Auto part

Fictional character Machine Metal

not clearplex, but it's important to protect the headlamp too...

Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system

Vehicle Car Automotive design Executive car Grille

·
Registered
820 Posts
So I inquired about this with my detail guy; I use an OptiCoat windshield coating (spray on; not a film) that works really well for bug splatter, rain (like a long-term RainX application), etc.

He steered me away from the rock chip protection films because his experience is that they leave a visual haze/distortion, that although minimal, is still visible, and some customers find it very annoying. So for those who have such a product, can you tell your windshield film is present AT ALL? Any haze/distortion?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i didnt enounter the haze distortion...

spray on... I've not used it before but spray on...? hehehe... try it and let us know...

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I have Clearplex on all my cars and the haze/distortion are very minimal to none. It really depends on how worn and weather beaten the film is plus the angle of the windscreen. The more slanted it is, the more you can detect the film.

I find the Clearplex sustains the worse damage on convoys due to the close formation of the cars and driving style. When the road opens up, a lot of them floor it and that kicks up a ton of debris. :eek:

The life span of the Clearplex is about 2 years before the surface damage become obvious enough to necessitate a change imo. Some change yearly, others right after a convoy. Really depends on how you drive. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
If you mean the Rain-X type products the manual specificially says not to use them.
I wonder why. The stuff works beautifully well when properly applied. I hardly have to use my wipers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have ClearPlex on my S6. I can tell it's there the moment they installed it. There's a slight distortion. It's been about 18 months now and will have to be removed. The wear from the wipers are pretty apparent.

I do mostly highway driving and probably will not put a film back on. If I did more group/convoy drives or track then it would make more sense.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
If the ClearPlex actually holds up against windshield cracks, I think I'd be ok with the haze (although I wish there was a product without any haze). A windshield on an R8 is not a cheap headache to deal with...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts