Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just damaged the windshield on my new Aston Vantage
New R8 is fine
Anyone know a glass expert in the Northeast?
Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
try safelite if they have your glass... i found them to be very good around here.

if you have insurance give them a call as well and see what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
try safelite if they have your glass... i found them to be very good around here.

if you have insurance give them a call as well and see what they recommend.
Agree. Safelite has always worked well for me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have used Safelite several times over the years and have been very satisfied. However, here’s a tip, insist upon the mobile service; they’ll come out to the house or work and with two techs, the job will take an hour or two. If you bring the car in, they will want the car all day and they will be on and off your job as small walk-ins or estimates come in. They advertise mobile service and robot installed but they would rather have you bring the car in. At least that has been the M.O of our local Safelite location.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
My wife's Q5 just had the windshield replaced - safelite did the work, and it was perfect. A week later, she decided to have a fender bender with another car - nothing major, but any kind of damage just makes me cringe.

Nothing out of pocket with safelite since our auto policy has $0 deductible for any glass claims. As a frame of reference, though, the Audi OEM windshield was about $800.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost for Aston windshieid is $3200. Additional seals, etc $300.
Installation is about $670 with Miller Aston Martin. They have done many.
Safelite wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cost for Aston windshieid is $3200. Additional seals, etc $300.
Installation is about $670 with Miller Aston Martin. They have done many.
Safelite wouldn't touch it.
Had a rock fly up on my sls and the dealer wanted over $4,000 just for the windshield 😳

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My selling dealer in DC wanted $2850 but then there is shipping, etc.
Expensive cars are expensive indeed.
Could be worse
Wonder what a winshield for our R8s would cost?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Wow! That is an expensive windshield! I'm surprised Safelite wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow! That is an expensive windshield! I'm surprised Safelite wouldn't do it.
Yes WOW indeed, I'm equally surprised; I certainly would feel more comfortable having a national organization like Safelite that does this day in and day do the job.

As a side; the windshield replacement on my S600 was $3,600. The insurance told me that they would not pay for OEM glass and would only pay for generic replacement glass. After arguing with them, it turned out to be a moot point because no one made a generic windshield for my car and the insurance company had to pop for the OEM glass.

Jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm assuming that the Aston dealer will have a local glass shop do the repair. Apparently they do all of the Aston replacements for them.
$3600 for an S600 windshield makes me feel a little less pain

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
That's crazy expensive glass.

Then again, I just had to pay my CT state yearly excise tax on the R8 - $2,956... and that was for slightly less than a full year (bought in August and taxes run July 1 - June 30). Barf.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
That's crazy expensive glass.

Then again, I just had to pay my CT state yearly excise tax on the R8 - $2,956... and that was for slightly less than a full year (bought in August and taxes run July 1 - June 30). Barf.
I surely do not miss the excise tax when I lived in MA!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In CT we actually pay a yearly city or town property tax. The mill rate determines the yearly fee.
My town for example has a relatively low mill rate and therefore my property taxes on my home and cars are at least palatable.
Ironically a town like Greenwich has a much lower mill rate than Hartford or New Haven.
Go figure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I personally would go OEM I've had safelite replace a windshield before and the glass had a irregular angle made things look weird out of the right third of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Recently replaced my windshield. Safelite would not touch it. There are no third party windshield replacements for R8 glass. They wanted to find an alternative to OEM but there were none.

Ultimately just bought the glass from the dealer ($1450 msrp paid $1100) and used the same installer the dealer uses. $400 for the install.

Two days later caught a rock behind a truck on the highway and you guessed it, small chip embedded into the glass. Glass tech came out and repaired 98% of it. If you didn't know where the knick was you wouldn't know there was one. Stay from behind semi trucks on the highway :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts