Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2018 R8 V-10 Plus. I’m in the NY area and we get snow on occasion but I do not plan to drive my car in the snow or even most rainy days. However, temperatures are consistently well below 40 degrees throughout the winter and my P-Zeros I’ve heard can be very dangerous in this temp. So I wanted to know what others thoughts were in just swapping my current summer tires with the Sottozero 3 on the same 20 inch rims I have stock. I don’t really feel like buying another set of rims at the moment. Any advice would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did this for a couple winters before I bought new rims for summer. Only advantage to a separate set of rims is saving the cost of mount and balance each time you swap tires really (plus the excuse to buy new shoes 🤤 ), unless you're going to a smaller diameter and width for snow tires, but that wouldn't make sense for your application.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I live in NJ and have Michelin PS2's on my R8, I drove it this past weekend when it was 27 degrees with no issue. It even started to flurry a bit and was fine at 75MPH on the Parkway and was fine on local roads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did this for a couple winters before I bought new rims for summer. Only advantage to a separate set of rims is saving the cost of mount and balance each time you swap tires really (plus the excuse to buy new shoes 🤤 ), unless you're going to a smaller diameter and width for snow tires, but that wouldn't make sense for your application.
Thanks for the info 🙏🏽

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in NJ and have Michelin PS2's on my R8, I drove it this past weekend when it was 27 degrees with no issue. It even started to flurry a bit and was fine at 75MPH on the Parkway and was fine on local roads.
That’s great. So you drive year round on your summers in jersey? I’m only talking about cold weather though, not snow or anything.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I live in Chicago and DD my car all winter on my Michelin Super Sports. I probably put 5k miles on the car last winter. My tires are summer tires and they are absolutely fine in the cold, but the second any snow accumulates, its a death trap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! Is that what you’ve always done with the R8 in jersey?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pilot sport alpins are amazing high performance winter tires- you really shouldn’t be on summers below 40F the compound isn’t engineered to be sticky and they essentially turn into hockey pucks. Also the tread isn’t optimized to deal with ice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey buddy
I have a 2015 and i have the oem pzero for summer. Last Wednesday before the snow, i put on pirelli sottozero on my factory 19’ wheels. The confidence you gain is amazing with winter tires. Up until then, we had those few cold days and the pirelli were fine when they warmed up but definitely out the driveway there was that slipping juttering sensation. For me, its not worth my safety. The winters are much more comfortable in the below 40 deg and the snow we had. Im in long island btw. When summer comes, I actually bought oem 19’ r8 gt style wheels which i will put fresh michelins on since my pirelli pzero had cracks when i got them taken off. Hope that helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey buddy
I have a 2015 and i have the oem pzero for summer. Last Wednesday before the snow, i put on pirelli sottozero on my factory 19’ wheels. The confidence you gain is amazing with winter tires. Up until then, we had those few cold days and the pirelli were fine when they warmed up but definitely out the driveway there was that slipping juttering sensation. For me, its not worth my safety. The winters are much more comfortable in the below 40 deg and the snow we had. Im in long island btw. When summer comes, I actually bought oem 19’ r8 gt style wheels which i will put fresh michelins on since my pirelli pzero had cracks when i got them taken off. Hope that helps
Yes def helps! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I will just get the Sottozero winters for my 20 inch stock wheels from what everyone is saying! 👌🏽

·
Registered
2011 V10 Gated, APR Aero,Unitronic Stage 2,IPE Titanium Exhaust,Eurowise CAI, XPEL PPF
88 Posts
Alpins is a great winter performance tire, but only second to Nokian haka's 8 and the new snowproof R which I drive on in Canada on cold and icy roads.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That’s great. So you drive year round on your summers in jersey? I’m only talking about cold weather though, not snow or anything.
I'll drive the R8 when I can. My Jeep Wrangler is the car I drive most of the time during the winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts