Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, need some help: my Gen 1 GT's wiper blades rest slightly above the "tucked away" position when the car is either off or on, and when the wipers are off or on. In other words, they sit 1-2 inches above the normal "rested" position at all times. Because of this, when the wipers are on, the driver side wiper blade extends past the windshield and brushes up against the A-pillar, making a clicking noise.

I read in another thread that the dealer can easily fix this in <5 minutes, but is there a way I can do this at home and save the trip? I tried putting them in the "service position"(on and off) to see if that would reset it, but it didn't work. Is it possible that my arms are on the wrong sides, or something else?

Tysm in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Sounds like the wiper arms have been removed at some point in time and replaced on the splines in the wrong place, pull them off and move them onto a different spline location.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the wiper arms have been removed at some point in time and replaced on the splines in the wrong place, pull them off and move them onto a different spline location.
Thanks DaveL. Forgot to add that I tried switching the driver and passenger blades, but that didn't work. Is there a special tool I need to remove the arms? Do you know if there's a video / photos of the process?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
There is a special tool from Audi but my mechanic just uses the old fashioned method - a screwdriver! saying this the arms on mine have been off dozens of times (and are well lubricated), he doesn't even put them in the service position either he's just careful not to hit the hood edge.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read this post last night, and then noticed this morning that mine is doing exactly the same, just catching the a-pillar!

Looks like you just remove the cap, not attempted this yet, can anyone confirm if it is just a screw driver to remove the arm or do I need a special tool?

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
I read this post last night, and then noticed this morning that mine is doing exactly the same, just catching the a-pillar!

Looks like you just remove the cap, not attempted this yet, can anyone confirm if it is just a screw driver to remove the arm or do I need a special tool?
This will depend on whether or not the wiper drive splines have been lubricated! cap first then there's a nut to remove, if your wiper arms are tight on a puller is recommended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts