Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my right front tire because it's at 3/32" but the 3 other tires are at 6/32". I understand you need to replace the tire when is about 3/32".

Dealer tells me is urgent to replace both front tires with new ones because the difference of depth will damage my Quattro system.:unsure::rolleyes::oops:

Any one knows how true is this? I am not an avid tracker tough.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is he the one supplying the tyres?

Phone another dealer, tell them you are considering them for your next service but you have a question for their tech.

Tell them you getting them fitted at a tyre place, but ask the same question.

It should remove any potential bias.

I have to replace my right front tire because it's at 3/32" but the 3 other tires are at 6/32". I understand you need to replace the tire when is about 3/32".

Dealer tells me is urgent to replace both front tires with new ones because the difference of depth will damage my Quattro system.:unsure::rolleyes::oops:

Any one knows how true is this? I am not an avid tracker tough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My understanding is it is generally unhealthy (for any car, not just AWD) to have an imbalance L/R in rolling diameter. How unhealthy and how unbalanced matters I couldn't say, but I always replace tires in pairs at a minimum, usually full set. Bear in mind, 3/32" might not seem like much, but it's roughly a third of the life of a performance tire (assuming you take it to 0-1/32). Also, if you only do one, how with they ever balance out?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah is the same dealer offering to sell the tires, I agree that balance is importance but still not convinced of need to replace ASAP or you will damage the Quattro system thing... Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have to agree, the difference in diameter will force the smaller/large sized wheel to be compensated by the quatro system. I would avoid an unbalanced system and change both sizes, just to be on the safe side. However....

On the fronts, the tire diameter is 25.8” (655.3 mm.) (I am assuming you have 20” wheels...j

You already had a depth difference of 3/32“ (2.3mm) between the worn one and the other three. And it did not damage the quatro... Now you have 4/32” (3.1mm) between the new one and the older three. That is, you changed the imbalance from one side to the other, and increased by 0.8mm.

If our cars’ quatro is so sensitive and get damaged that easily, we have a problem....

I think your dealer is trying to sell you a new set of tires...

Having said that, now, if something happens to the drivetrain, your dealer has told you to change the tires. It is in the records. I do not think you have an alternative but to change the tire.

Next time, do not go to that dealership...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree you should have even tread on each axle....I also believe it’s not that big of a deal either and the system isn’t that sensitive.( I’m no professional tech lol). Now like someone else mentioned, if you don’t buy both now...you are going to always have one tire with more tread on that axle...so just bite the bullet and buy 2. If you are pretty darn close to replace all of them you might as well. It’s inevitable unless you are never driving it again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts