Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having discussions with a local car reviewer that posts their reviews online. They are very good and have been around for years.

I'm thinking about letting them review my 2022 R8, but I'm having some cold feet. I probably won't let them track my car, but I'm sure that as a part of their review they will have to push the car somewhat hard on backroads.

In the end, though, I wonder if they would drive it any harder than I already do. Difference being, when I do it I get smiles. When somebody else does, I just get a bit of wear and tear. Either way, it would be cool to have my car get reviewed by this particular car reviewer, whom I respect.

So I thought I'd share some feedback. What would you do in my shoes? Would you let your car be reviewed, or not?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
If you respect them, and you enjoy their videos, in which they treat other cars with respect, I’d go for it. Immortalize your car in that moment on video.
Post it up once it’s done.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I think it really depends on the reviewer and their level of expertise and professionalism.

A professional outfit that actually operates like a business (has all the requisite insurance, proper safety crew, drivers with professional experience, etc.) may be one thing. Some juiced up little punk on YouTube with a no professional driving experience, just a big head and lots of subscribers? No.

The level of which the "reviewer" is operating as a business versus a hobby (no matter how large the following or revenue) may make a significant difference in terms of outcome if the worst comes to pass - such as an accident that wrecks your car, injures people, destroys property, or worse kills someone. Would your insurance refuse to participate in any coverage given that the car is insured for private use versus a business? Would theirs? All important questions to explore.

For me, it would need to be a larger business - like a well known automotive media company that would tick the above boxes. But I wouldn't hand it to most regular YouTubers... despite how many expensive cars they manage to touch.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just more info (without revealing the reviewer), they have already been reviewing cars through dealers for years. They seem to be getting a lot of press cars, which means they have some legitimacy.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I remember watching a video of Doug playing ping pong on the wing of a 911 (maybe a GT3) and thinking, "I'd never let this guy touch my car!" :) He's like the 4 year old kid who's going to flip switches back and forth until he gets something to break.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea I don't think so. What's in it for you? Unless you're getting paid, 'shout-out' on the person's channel to boost your own, or some sort of a consideration in some way, I don't think I would bother. The only end result is your car beat up by someone other than you and them generating tons of revenue from that.

·
Administrator
6,330 Posts
I wouldnt do it. Just watch some of the many reviews on the car and pretend it's yours

Reactions: viappc and Tupper

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would if they operated professionally and not just some random person. I remember seeing something that demuro carried insurance that in the event something happens he’d make the owner whole. I’d only consider it if they had something like that going on.

·
Registered
2012 R8 v10
7 Posts
I don't exactly know the many wondrous ways in which the human brain works - but for some reason on this topic, I just don't want anyone in the driver seat of my car, BUT me. It's not rational really ... I don't know why I feel this way. I don't want to be crude, but I am not in an open relationship. Why do I feel this way about my cars?? No idea.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts