Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
All good points here but very simply the risk outweighs the reward.

Best case scenario -- you have some fun, your car is fine afterwards, and you get to see it in a review video.

Worst case scenario -- your car gets totaled, you don't have a car while you figure things out with insurance, and then the insurance company lowballs you / makes your life even more difficult.

·
Administrator
6,330 Posts
I would if they operated professionally and not just some random person. I remember seeing something that demuro carried insurance that in the event something happens he’d make the owner whole. I’d only consider it if they had something like that going on.
But can owner be made whole? When people would get into an accident people would always say good thing no one was hurt and cars can be replaced. But can they now? I know if something happened to my new Evo I could not replace it and would have to find something used and pay far more than I did for it new. Same thing goes for R8

Reactions: ezmaass

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
But can owner be made whole? When people would get into an accident people would always say good thing no one was hurt and cars can be replaced. But can they now? I know if something happened to my new Evo I could not replace it and would have to find something used and pay far more than I did for it new. Same thing goes for R8
Yes, exactly. I'd never look at insurance as a way of making me whole - it just couldn't. I've owned my car for over 8 years since new - it's obviously long since out of production, and there would be no way to recreate that experience. I could buy someone else's - it would likely be a multi-owner car, not my chosen spec, etc. To some, that's a non-issue. For me, it wouldn't be remotely the same.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah that’s true. I mean at least have compensation and not like “well sucks” but that’s a good point.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm having discussions with a local car reviewer that posts their reviews online. They are very good and have been around for years.

I'm thinking about letting them review my 2022 R8, but I'm having some cold feet. I probably won't let them track my car, but I'm sure that as a part of their review they will have to push the car somewhat hard on backroads.

In the end, though, I wonder if they would drive it any harder than I already do. Difference being, when I do it I get smiles. When somebody else does, I just get a bit of wear and tear. Either way, it would be cool to have my car get reviewed by this particular car reviewer, whom I respect.

So I thought I'd share some feedback. What would you do in my shoes? Would you let your car be reviewed, or not?
I'm having discussions with a local car reviewer that posts their reviews online. They are very good and have been around for years.

I'm thinking about letting them review my 2022 R8, but I'm having some cold feet. I probably won't let them track my car, but I'm sure that as a part of their review they will have to push the car somewhat hard on backroads.

In the end, though, I wonder if they would drive it any harder than I already do. Difference being, when I do it I get smiles. When somebody else does, I just get a bit of wear and tear. Either way, it would be cool to have my car get reviewed by this particular car reviewer, whom I respect.

So I thought I'd share some feedback. What would you do in my shoes? Would you let your car be reviewed, or not?
What's in for you?
Are you being compensated?
Have you talked to your insurance company about this?

Forget about ware and tare on your car or an accident with physical damage and concentrate on an accident with injuries or death!
Some have commented about insurance making you whole; how about diminished value at sale time if their is an accident?

In my opinion there are too many downsides and only bragging rights for you....I personally would say no!

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I would let a few people review my car.

Jay Leno, Randy Pobst, Chris Harris, Lewis Hamilton

I'd also want to go along for the drive. 😎
I'd settle for just shaking their hands and chatting! :)

Reactions: dinkman

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I suggest you reflect on your motives for wanting your car to be the one that is reviewed, and why you want a local reviewer to do it. There are plenty of reviews for your model already that have been done more widely. Is it vanity? Do you want to be mentioned in the review for having made your car available? Do you want to get the attention of the local populace after they see the review and then see your car? Deep down, what is in this for you?

The clue for me is in your post: “Either way, it would be cool to have my car get reviewed by this particular car reviewer”. Why, for you, would that be cool? Why wouldn’t it be just as cool for any other 2022 R8? Is this all about you? If so, then go for it, because that is what you want. As for your fear of your car being driven hard by the reviewer, just state your conditions to them, and consider being present when they conduct the review. If it were me, as long as I could satisfy myself that they were insured, then I wouldn’t worry about the car being driven hard on back roads! It’s what it’s built for, and it would represent a tiny percentage of the hard driving it will get in its life (assuming you drive it the way an R8 is meant to be driven, and that it isn’t a show pony or status symbol).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
^ To be honest it’s not so much about it being my car or vanity (perhaps a slight bit, but not the predominant reason), but more about the car reviewers themselves. I really respect these guys and they’ve never reviewed an R8. I am really curious what they will think about this car.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
^ To be honest it’s not so much about it being my car or vanity (perhaps a slight bit, but not the predominant reason), but more about the car reviewers themselves. I really respect these guys and they’ve never reviewed an R8. I am really curious what they will think about this car.
That sounds like a great reason, to satisfy your curiosity. Providing the car is covered one way or the other for insurance, then I'd go for it, and accompany them.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts