Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had XM radio in my 04 S4 and am planning on installing XM SAT in my R8. Manufacturers are now starting to support XM's NavWeather + NavTraffic. Acura includes a 3 month trial subscription to these XM services as their "Technology Package". I'm wondering if anyone has added these XM features to their AudiNav?

http://www.xmradio.com/navweather/index.xmc

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
The below is just a guess based on my current understandings:

I assume that supporting XM traffic and weather would require not only an XM receiver to be interfaced to the NavPlus screen, but also programming in the MMI to enable the data to be displayed (ie overlay the weather and traffic data onto base maps) and the receiver to be controlled (channeled for audio).

Since Audi supports/supplies Sirius Satellite radio in the cars now, I don't see that (XM) ever happening from Audi, at least for the current crop of cars.

Perhaps when/if Sirius and XM merge, there will eventually be a version of NavPlus/MMI that supports (hardware & software) XM WX and Traffic. However, its anyone's guess (my guess is it's doubtful) that this would be retrofitable to current cars.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I believe they have merged. At least I got a subscribers email from XM offering me a package of "The Best of Sirius" or something like that. Wasn't really interested in more channels, so didn't really pay attention. But this kind of cross offering to existing subscribers is what I read would be the initial result of the merger.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The sat receivers are still different but I think either will interface with a satellite ready audio component. This could be why the feature is marketed as "SATELLITE" radio - then, you read the fine print to see if XM or Sirius. It's all about sales & marketing but as you say, soon there will be only one.

I sent a message to the head XM dude to see what integration is available for XM Traffic & Weather. Porsche offers it so it shouldn't be long, right!? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts