Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
The back fin can he a problem in ice. Luke the kind when you come back to the car in morning and there is a cm of ice all around. The kind thats hard to get iff windshield. It gets iced on and then im afraid to take it at highway speeds when it pops up.

Perhaps I've just been too nervous? But the ice gets all in that fin as it's honeycomb.

Never driven mine with snow tires but I drive chicago winter roads all winter on ps4 and find it fine. If there is a quarter inch of snow it's an absolute death trap. But again not using winter tires and our roads are pretty well cleared and treated and probably warmer from constant traffic doing 60mph.

Get the car and drive the hell out of it! These are, As someone said, just a car and it will be reliable and fun and a joy to own.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I dint know EZ. Yes, It's surely true that winter tires would be much better to have but i think it's a real overexageration to worry too much about having the summer tires in the winter. I drive totally differently in the winter and don't at all push the car in the cold. The tires work fine. I leave more stopping space.

Who says they don't work? The tire manufacturers who are trying to sell winter tires? And what exactly is the loss in a 65mph to zero stop on a highway in a major city with treated roads and warmth from the friction from traffic? I doubt too much. Still stops faster than most regular cars on the road.

·
Registered
906 Posts
EZ is enjoyable to have on the forum, but I want to get him on a tequila bender in Mexico and then buy him a rub and tug at ont of my favorite places.

I dont believe those studies by the tire companies just like i dint believe the Marlboro telling me they have a study telling me smoking is good for me.

The argument about coverage being denied is a very interesting one and I never considered it. But..... I'm going on a tequila bender in Mexico instead of dealing with swapping out my tires......

·
Registered
906 Posts
I thought about the insurance claim thing today and still accept that risk. Its probably 4 hours of my time twice a year and then a grand or two for new wheels with snow tires. Any my car is worth like 70k or something. Liability is another 100k or something on a payout (but who knows). I think its a 1 in 1000 chance or less that happens. So, I still dont think snow tires are worth it for me. As long as I dont go out in actual active snow, which I rarely do, then its fine. And then when I road trip in the winter (I only spend about 40 total days in the north country during winter months), Id have to change the tires out again. Not worth it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I can honestly say I have not had a single junk mile in my R8. I enjoy them all more than any other car I own or have owned.

I truly do enjoy the manual VW Golf wagon though. Ripping that through the corners is pure delight. It's super slow and drives like a sports car with a bad engine. The only thing I don't really enjoy driving all that much is my SUV. I just don't like them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts