Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Drove in about an inch and a half on Super sports and it wasn't pretty but you know that living in that climate you def won't get away with summers up there (oddly enough my driveway is very steep and it did better getting up my driveway than my GTR with 1-2 inches.. so superior AWD in my op)... Other than that its very capable ice accumulation ie slush in the side vents happens but I've never seen adverse affects from it.

No idea on the rust I never saw any daily driving it

Rtronic 12 which I daily drove in some of the worst traffic in the USA was manageable if you had experience with manual, but far from ideal, so def go S-tronic DCT if possible

Ride hight was never an issue but places you think you would scrape you wouldn't and places you thought you wouldn't you would but very daily friendly

Driven plenty at high speeds in rain and I'm sure with the right winter setup it would do just fine

·
Registered
197 Posts
i question why you'd want this car if its going to spend so much time in snowy conditions. i mean sure maybe with smaller wheels and snow tires its manageable but by no means going to be an enjoyable experience owning an r8 was meant to be. why not just get a different audi like an rs6, s6, rsq8 that are as fast but more suitable for those conditions

Its a car bro no different than a civic it gets from point a to point b...

To the OP, mine sat outside the office rain, shine, pollen covered, bird crap, snow, 5 days a week pre covid. The paint holds up just fine, although after 6 years removing the engine cover to really get it clean behind the plastic bits will be needed if it spends lots of time outside. But never had a single issue having it outside a majority of its life and cars been one of the most reliable I've ever owned.

Not sure I'd use it to plow a path forward on untreated roads but if tis snow plowed/ covered sub 3-4 inches of snow driving should be fine from what I've seen, zero issues overheating or anything related to the side vents

·
Registered
197 Posts
Even without snow on the ground, you shouldn't drive on summer tires below around 40 degrees - they're just dangerous. Even if you can't feel it under normal driving, the traction is severely compromised. The summer tire compound needs warm weather to work as designed, and it'll get brittle and stiff (loses its elasticity) in cold temperatures, losing traction. Even if you're not planning to accelerate or corner hard, you'd be in a bad spot if you needed to emergency brake from highway speeds - the stopping distance could be very poor. Likewise, in really cold temperatures, the tires can crack or chip, and then you really need to replace them.
Maybe that's true under the most extreme conditions extreme speed driving / cornering /stopping where you'd notice freezing temps....

Anything remotely normal I've never once experienced cold weather causing such an impact that it made me want to rush to tire rack to swap out summers for winters.

GTR with nt05Rs in 20 degree weather and 1500hp+ stopping / launching was fine... More bmws than I can count, and 6 winters with the R8 all fine in purely cold conditions. And while I'll 100% agree with snow any accumulation is downright dangerous... Just being freezing temps ie 0-32 Never once had a situation where it made me question being out unlike snow accumulation where I can count on one hand the times I've been out with R888s/MPSS/ GTR OEM dunlops in snow.

*also never had abnormal wear on tires from them being used in winter

·
Registered
197 Posts
My current RS5 has had the rear “fin” ice over on many occasions. I rarely exceed 75mph in the winter, but the few times I may have hit that 75mph zone when the fin attempts to raise, I get an error code. All appears functionally fine after the ice is gone.

Snow tires are a necessity around here. I may be foolish, but I’m no fool.
Just clean it off if it sits outside in snow and it clears up the next day to take out. Thats what I'd do. Only once in 6 years can I recall getting a 1 time error up message from the fin and it was downright frozen shut.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Again, I would still choose winters over summers in cold temps, not only for the risk of damaging the summers, but also because you can't know for sure what the road conditions will be wherever you're going. However, that said, in dry weather, in a pinch, it doesn't seem that summers are necessarily undriveable or dangerous.
Correct. Its not.

People who do mental gymnastics to convince themselves that if a summer tire on a clear day sees 32 degree temps its seconds away from failure and its going to be uncontrollable lmao or that its gonna degrade the life of the times probably also think one day of salt treatment has ate away their aluminum within a week lol

Would I advise anyone to drive in adverse precipitation level conditions on summers, or even do dangerous extreme level driving in 5 degree weather absolutely not.

But if you're going to the movies or out to get groceries and its sunny and 5 degrees you aren't suddenly the most dangerous inconsiderate person on the planet

People like that regurgitate the tire rack videos lol but have never had radials/summers etc, in adverse conditions and actually felt what's unsafe and what isn't

Actual 1st hand exp:
200k miles between various cars on PS2/PSS/4S all 500hp+
30k miles 1500+hp NT05Rs
50k+ miles 900+hp R888s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts